Monday, March 19, 2018

March is the Coolest Month

March is the coolest month? I'm trying to get used to the sound of that but, after many years of saying that "March is the cruelest month" it will take some time. March's cruelty lies in the teases of spring that show up in a month that is still very much winter. But change is in the air; Elle and I are embracing our north country roots and buying a house in Long Lake. So instead of living in Saratoga Springs and heading up north on weekends, we'll be living in Long Lake and heading down to Saratoga when work demands it.

The trail to Wilson Pond was unbroken so I found myself plowing through deep snow the entire way. The going was still tough on the way out, even with my own tracks to follow.
As I write this post it's March 19th and tomorrow is the vernal equinox; the official first day of spring. In the past I might have lamented the fact that nearly three feet of snow had fallen in the past week. Or that the overnight temperature had fallen to ten below zero. But, we are moving north by choice so we might as well embrace March as our last chance to enjoy winter before the pesky bugs and tourists return. March is the coolest month.

Snow floating down from the trees, glimmering in the late afternoon sun. It's still winter, but the sun has a warmth in March that is not there in January.   
Setting off on the Wilson Pond trail (trailhead on Rte 28, just south of Blue Mountain Lake), my only goal was to enjoy this last (I hope) blast of deep winter. Given the soft, deep, snow I was using the big Sherpa showshoes that I rarely use anymore. But even the Sherpas were not enough to keep me afloat on the unbroken track. Sinking in eight to twelve inches on every step was exhausting and made for very slow going. After two and half hours I had covered just two and half miles, and decided to turn back. I like to take my time and enjoy the solitude on these outings.


Grassy Pond. A half mile from route 28.

The trail to Wilson Pond passes through a chain of beaver ponds and meadows.

The snow depth is evident in this photo. Small stretches of this stream had remained open during the recent storms but had  frozen over during the colder stretch that followed.

The late afternoon sun 

Blue Mountain, with it's prominent communications towers, is visible at several points along the way.

Winter is going to spill over into the spring this year. It will take a few weeks for this snow to melt.